Monday, March 4, 2019

Slice 2019 #4: The Dungeon Master

March Slice of Life Challenge Day 4: The Dungeon Master

For the month of March, each day I am writing and posting a slice of my life, hosted by Two Writing Teachers



March Slice of Life Challenge Day 4: The Dungeon Master

Some three years ago, when I came to my current school, I had a great group of students, some particular boys in my Geometry class and I really 'clicked' and they approached me with an idea, to start a Dungeons and Dragons club at our High School. We meet every Monday (which we have school) and usually play for ~2 hours.

Today's adventure took me for a twist, as I was quite unprepared for the reasonable decision the players made. The town Triboar is under siege by Giants and their minions, enter the Heroes to defend Triboar from these invaders. While the players managed to neutralize most of the threats during our last session, I could have sworn that they would attempt a confrontation with the Fire Giants that were intended to be a main adversary, they decided to engage lesser threats instead.

Our group became firefighters instead of giant fighters, but in the end they realized an important lesson. Choose your battles, and so wisely. This spared the players the dreadful fate of saying goodbye to a character that they have grown to love over the past months.

They also were able to do some good for the town by minimizing the destruction and preventing the blazes around town from spreading or going untended. I reward them now with a map, and freewill to decide their own fate in the world and I am genuinely excited to see where they will choose to explore and where the many roads may take us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slice 2019 #5 InstaPot / #6 Fetch

Kohl's is one of my favorite stores because they occasionally have insane deals! For example when they offer Kohl's cash ($10 for...