Thursday, March 1, 2018

Kazoos and Happiness

Reflecting on the celebration of life that was lived by my dear friend Ms. Katie. I resolve to live with the same light that she brought to the world.

Today there was a beautiful analogy in a presentation for the Words Hurt Week at Appleton East High School. The speaker urges us to light our candle, and use that flame to light others as well by sharing our light. When you share the light it doesn't take away your own, but only spreads to others. Miss Katie had Kazoos at her celebration / funeral and encouraged her friends to play along to songs like "This Little Light of Mine" and "When the Saints Go Marching In".

On my way home from a busy and fulfilling day I reached into my jacket pocket and found a blue kazoo. This blue kazoo has a magical energy about it, it quite literally is plastic happiness. All it takes is humming into the correct end and I become a darn fine musician. I attribute my talent to a musical upbringing and always whistling, that and being involved with choir all my high school years.

Do you think my students will see it coming if I start using the Kazoo in class as an attention signal? If you talk into a Kazoo, it reminds me of how the adults sound in the Peanuts comics. I wonder if that is how some of my own high school students think I sound.

If I have any magical Kazoo moments I might just be putting it on my Instagram that can be found @jeremy_kautz

I was surprised to find that Blue Kazoo even has a social media presence. 



3 comments:

  1. I love how you described the kazoo and your kazoo playing ability! Maybe kazoos would be a good gift for my students at the end of their state testing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I would ever associate kazoos with happiness (kazoos make me think longingly of noise-canceling headphones!!) but your post has persuaded me. I am sure your students would be delighted by the surprise of a kazoo serenade! So glad you're slicing with us this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! We are playing some tunes between classes in the hallway. Dare I be brave enough to Kazoo along?

      Delete

Slice 2019 #5 InstaPot / #6 Fetch

Kohl's is one of my favorite stores because they occasionally have insane deals! For example when they offer Kohl's cash ($10 for...