Saturday, March 10, 2018

Slice #10: Games Galore



In my college days we had a ritual of playing Dungeons and Dragons every other weekend. The party consisted of my Sister, her boyfriend who would become my brother-in-law, and my friend Matt. We played many a Sunday, a different form of religion but it accomplished tasks of giving us purpose and community. For this reason, I am still a gamer today, I play in a different campaign and even started a Dungeons & Dragons group last year with some interested students at our high school. We meet regularly on Monday's so long as school isn't cancelled we take over a space in the LMC for a few hours of role playing fun.

Recently I have been exploring new board games with friends and have found it to be a nice change of pace from a very familiar RPG experience like D&D. The three games I have recently played are Hexploreit  City of Kigns and Monster Kingdom Death which all started as Kickstarter projects and far surpased their goals. Kickstarter has done some awesome work in allowing for small publishers to bring their ideas and games to market and through the stages of development. We aren't stuck playing the Hasbro games anymore, but are able to have fun 'unplugging' and learning a new system and how to strategize.

The three games I listed are all cooperative games where players work to beat the game mechanics. I really like this aspect because it allows for players to support each other instead of focusing on beating each other in games like ticket to ride. I am incredibly competitive, and some have said I am a sore loser, or a sore winner depending on my luck. Game nights/days are a great way to pass the time, the 8 hours we were playing today flew by!

4 comments:

  1. The thing about great games is that eight hours probably felt like an hour. I think RPG games still have a significant hold for many in the gaming world, and agree that it is a nice balance with our digital app games and other screen play.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started learning how to play D&D with my son, it's such a complicated game. But definitely fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like so much fun! We haven't played board games in awhile--we need to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no knowledge at all of how to play D&D, but I know that it builds great community. Your game nights always sound so fun!

    ReplyDelete

Slice 2019 #5 InstaPot / #6 Fetch

Kohl's is one of my favorite stores because they occasionally have insane deals! For example when they offer Kohl's cash ($10 for...