Friday, March 2, 2018

You Matter, Don't Give Up, and Crying in Public

Today was the conclusion of an awesome event organized annually by staff and students called Words Hurt Week. During the week of Words Hurt there are many offerings and messages that are important to be heard. Read more about it at this great article covering the event.




What more can I say or write that my coworkers haven't already said beautifully. This moment was cathartic and profound.






He reached out to us and asked teachers to hear the same message we had heard from the bleachers. The staff made its way down to stand lined up together, many already with wet eyes and damp cheeks. What happened next was magic, and I can't do it justice but here are the take-aways.

"DON'T GIVE UP" 

Terrence Talley shared a personal story about his journey and the impact an educator had on him. Teachers needed to hear it, brought me to tears of inspiration. some time we can't see the forest for the trees. He talked to those of us that have thought about leaving the profession for 'greener' pastures. He talked to those of us that have struggles that we don't get to share with the world.

"YOU MATTER"  

The work that we do on a daily basis means changing and saving lives even though we may not always feel it. I know lately, there have been times were I have felt introspective. While reading and doing a self-evaluation on the Danielson Framework for teaching and felt pangs of guilt rationalizing some of my ratings as 'two - basic'. I teach students that are complex human beings, but I wouldn't change it for the world. Some students and I shared profound moments in our mini-teacher student conferences this week, and in conversations held informally. I  and the work I do is more than a rating on a framework.

"EVERY STUDENT MATTERS" 

They need to know, and they need to hear it, and even at the high school students need to feel it. A student may be able to really trust a teacher and open up but there are boundaries that aren't usually crossed in high school. Our school learned today what a "Dad Hug" is, it turns out some of my students needed it, and I realized that I needed them too. Students need unconditional support as well, and one expression of that is a "Dad/Mom Hug" the way a 5 year old daughter looks to her dad or my four and half year old nephew goes to his mom. Terrence told those students that needed one to come down to their teachers gathered before them and get a hug.

According to some estimates, the hugging and exchanging of affirmations and  went on for 15 powerful minutes.

I couldn't wait to share my positive stories about this week with my family and other coworkers. This is a slice of life that I am going to keep in my fondest memories.

6 comments:

  1. Jeremy - thank you for sharing this incredible story through your experience and through the eyes of your colleagues. What special moments of emotional connections and healing for Appleton East. Indeed, #studentsmatter and #hugsheal

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised to discover once I became a teacher that I'm a hugger. And my students really, really needed hugs. I understand boundaries and professionalism and caution, but touch is a connection that people need, and often the kids who need it the most get almost none of it. I'm so glad that your school had such a powerful experience of affirmation and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeremy, this was a fantastic week for our students and staff. Yesterday's speaker was a great message to end with - you matter. I loved reading all of our colleagues insights, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing experience for all of you! I teared up reading about it. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for writing this up Jeremy. I agree with the other comments seen here...As Tom Wanamaker stated, it was quite possibility the most remarkable assembly I've ever experienced. The emotions being processed by individuals during those moments together are likely not describable in words. So glad I was able to experience that event. Thank you for putting it on. "People care about you."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading through.
      I thought it was important to capture the staffs words and amplify/gather them.

      Delete

Slice 2019 #5 InstaPot / #6 Fetch

Kohl's is one of my favorite stores because they occasionally have insane deals! For example when they offer Kohl's cash ($10 for...