Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Slice #7 Adventures in the Ktichen


Grocery Shopping

To be honest, no one ever taught me how to plan meals, and grocery shop for the week. At a stage in my life with dual incomes, the 'convenience' of eating out is often tempting and it always leaves us pondering the question "What do you want to eat?" This year has been a learning process, and Lindsay and I have been going together. Digital coupons are awesome and I love seeing the savings roll in when you scan your perks card.

If I could cook at home like the healthy and wholesome fast casual place my wife loves to frequent I might be consider myself a culinary adept. Today's task was to make one awesome salad. I found a recipe for a cranberry pecan and blue cheese salad tossed in balsamic vinaigrette dressing. This salad has been cooking in the back of my mind since our last grocery trip as a couple, but I missed a few key remaining ingredients, namely the lettuce. 

Walking down the aisles I found myself doubling back to the produce section unsure of my choice. Is there a real difference between red and green leaf lettuce? Should I be using romaine instead? Should I spring for the 'packaged' organic romaine hearts? These are all questions that ran through my mind and caused some anxiety. First trip around I bagged a red leaf lettuce, but then ended up coming back and picking a head of romaine as well. Better safe then sorry.

Salad Chef

I remember now why I don't make salads at home, mostly because I am the only one that ever eats them. It is truly amazing how much lettuce (volume) comes from one head. After peeling some cucumbers and slicing them thinly, I then tossed the mixture. Remembered that you are supposed to shake the salad dressing (especially vinaigrette) before using after I started pouring it on my first small bowl. I garnished with the cranberry, walnuts and blue cheese and enjoyed the vegetables/fruits of my labor. Once I started there was no stopping, I enjoyed the heck out of the whole big salad bowl all by myself only to realize I really wanted this salad for the combination of balsamic vinaigrette, cranberries, walnuts and blue cheese and it has very little to do with the lettuce at all.

3 comments:

  1. This is too funny! I love the way you ended by realizing what had been the problem (forgetting the lettuce and then not knowing which lettuce to buy) really wasn't a problem at all. Thanks for the laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the incessant meal planning! I enjoy cooking, but I really hate figuring out what to make. You raise a good point about how we may not truly be taught how to meal plan and grocery shop, what ingredients to buy, etc. I need to make sure I teach my son how to do this! Although I think a lot of it is just trial and error. Your salad sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There should be a class offered in high school and then college for this exact purpose. So stressful!

    ReplyDelete

Slice 2019 #5 InstaPot / #6 Fetch

Kohl's is one of my favorite stores because they occasionally have insane deals! For example when they offer Kohl's cash ($10 for...