Saturday, March 3, 2018

Slice of Life #3: One Foot In Front of the Other

New Year's Resolutions

We have a pretty awesome community at our high school. We encourage each other through many ways, but one such way is a community focused 'biggest loser' challenge. While there is a cultural obsession with weight and being thinner, there are real benefits to leading a healthier life style besides being focused on a number.

There are many weekly challenges that to be honest I haven't had the where-with-all to commit to. I was happy with being active, trying to be sensible with food choices, and drinking enough water. My start running this year came from beginning again on ZenLab's C25k program that I swear as the best way to get you from sedentary to jogging over the course of 8 weeks.

I was going strong, and the feedback from friends on my occasional updates via the social media celebrations and progress tracking really had me fired up. Taking pictures of my progress all the way through by always snapping a 'post-workout' data report, would help me see the process even if it was made one day at a time.

This time doing C25K was different. I had a singular goal that was Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic or Time Bound. My resolve was to be able to run a 5k (race or distance) in under 25 minutes by the end of the 8 week program. I made it to week 6 when I got stopped by an obstacle.
Run in the Sun by Lucas Favre

Stubbed Toes and Excuses

There are two things that happened that I can identify as reasons why I am not running a my aforementioned 5k distance right now at that blistering (possibly literally) sub 25 minute pace. My first obstacle was a door frame that decided to move in the path of my foot as I made my way from our laundry room to the kitchen. Clumsy, careless, and now extremely bruised my poor toe became a gorgeous maroon. (I will spare you the picture because eww...) Now I knew I needed time to heal.

After a reasonable amount of time (1 week?) I still had not made it back to the YMCA to resume my progress. I couldn't "find time" even though I had become engrossed with a video game, often playing with my friends, and somehow managed to log 142 hour since I have gotten it. Where did those 142 hours come from? They came from running time, they have come from sleep time, they have come from some quality time spent with my expectant wife.

The time spent on these games are entertaining and yes sometimes social, but they don't make me feel 'alive' the way the other activities do. So my key to a better life is do more of the things that fill  my life.
  • Marvel at the wonder and love of a child and spend quality time playing, reading and teaching my nephews.
  • Be a better listener, whether as a brother, a friend or a husband. I can practice being present in the lives of those around me as well.
  • Read more, watch less. I have started checking out books and have a little catching up to do buy am going to make it my goal to read twenty-four novels this year. (Finished Born a Crime and The Martian so far...)
  • Run often and focus on enjoying the process while not just focusing on the progress. Running outdoors is way different than running on a treadmill. I need to remember that progress is putting one foot in front of the other.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! Those are great goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right: some activities feed us, while others keep us busy but we don't exactly feel renewed after we're done. I always think I don't have time for the healthier habits that feed me, but I'm always amazed at how much time I do have when I get into a habit. The resolve to feed yourself is a wise one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wise, Jeremy. This is a great line, "my key to a better life is to do more things that fill my life." And how did you like Born a Crime? It's on my To-Read pile...

    ReplyDelete

Slice 2019 #5 InstaPot / #6 Fetch

Kohl's is one of my favorite stores because they occasionally have insane deals! For example when they offer Kohl's cash ($10 for...